October 22, 2008

Moroccan Spaghetti Squash Soup


AKA: Everything-Must-Go Soup (Gluten Free)

Today I started rummaging through the fridge looking for lunch…and there was nothing…or was there? I had tidbits left over from the last couple of days – fresh spinach from Spinach-Pesto Pizza (I will post this recipe later; click here for the crust), spaghetti squash from Meat & Veggie Balls, red bell pepper from salads, ½ can of pureed pumpkin from this morning’s Pumpkin Doughnuts, so on and so forth. Then, as my stomach rumbled, it hit me like lightening – SOUP! An Everything-Must-Go Soup. Sorry I do not have any exact ingredients because this soup did not happen that way. I just dumped things in until it tasted yummy. Here is a rough sketch of what went in:

In a large pot, sauté chopped onions, salt, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper in butter until tender (you can always add more spices later if you want more flavor). Toss in chopped red peppers, minced garlic, and fresh spinach. Stir until spinach is almost wilted. Add chicken broth & pumpkin puree. Stir in spaghetti squash. Stir, taste, and make any necessary adjustments. Spoon into a bowl and enjoy.