October 22, 2008

Orange Pork Stir Fry


I know I have been posting heavier dishes, I think I am trying to fatten up for winter. But this is how I really like to cook. I love Asian anything - stir-fries, curries, noodles, fish… This is my stand-by, 20 minutes to great flavor (20 minutes because the rice is better cooked than raw).

Gluten/Wheat Free, Kid Friendly

ingredients
1 pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
½ large onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
6-8 oz green beans
½ bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange), thinly sliced lengthwise
3 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce
2 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
1 garlic clove
¾ to 1 peel of orange, zested
sesame oil
salt to taste
sriracha hot chili sauce

preparation
Heat wok with some sesame oil over high. When oil sizzles when sprinkled with water, add pork and onion. Stir for a few minutes until pork is half cooked. Add gluten free soy sauce, honey, ginger, vinegar, garlic, orange peel and green beans. Lower heat to medium-high, cook until meat is cooked through and green beans are tender. Toss in peppers. Serve with rice and chili sauce.

cooking notes
Meat: Slice meat when fairly frozen to get nice thin slices.
Soy Sauce: I prefer La Choy when cooking. It is more like regular soy sauce, but needs a little extra salt.
Ginger: At a cooking class in Japan, I was told to zest/grate ginger when the ginger is frozen. It works like charm.
Chili Sauce: This dish LOVES heat. So do not be shy. If you do not have my favorite Sriracha Chili Sauce, then serve with red pepper flakes.