October 18, 2008

Potato & Zucchini Lasagna (Gluten Free & Vegan)


I have to admit I never cared for lasagna; it is what my brother-in-law calls a “gut-buster”. Most traditional lasagna recipes I find are very greasy, heavy and lacking in flavor. So, it might seem odd that I began to seek-out a way to make gluten free lasagna. I did not wake-up one day and decide this quest must happen. My garden was producing more zucchini than I knew what to do with. My family began to moan at the sight of the green vegetable. I had to go stealth, hiding it in dishes and sauces. This recipe came about because I had no more options that my family would accept. In my house, this recipe successfully turned zucchini into a sought after vegetable.

The vegan aspect was not accidental. I recently read a few studies about the correlation between animal proteins and cancer. I also have met a few new friends who have battled their own forms of cancer and found the reduction of animal proteins helpful. I think it is also fitting to post this recipe this month since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Gluten/Wheat Free, Vegan, Kid Friendly, Serves 4

ingredients
2-3 large butter potatoes, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
1 cup cashews, soaked
¼ cup pine nuts, soaked
¼ of a lemon zested
¼ small onion chopped
¼ clove garlic
½ teaspoon salt
pinch cayenne
pinch nutmeg
favorite tomato/spaghetti sauce

for assembly
olive oil in a mister or brushed on
salt
garlic powder
onion powder
dried oregano
basil

preparation
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Soak nuts in warm water until softened (about 2 hours) and then drain. Adding a small amount of water, blend nuts, lemon zest, onion, garlic, salt, cayenne and nutmeg until smooth.

Layer 1: Spread a small amount of sauce on the bottom of 9x9 inch baking dish. Spread thinly sliced (unpeeled) potatoes over sauce, spray (or brush on) olive oil, sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. Add a layer of thinly sliced zucchini, spray (or brush on) olive oil, and sprinkle with onion powder and oregano.

Layer 2: Repeat layer 1 starting with a thin layer of sauce.

Layer 3: Evenly spread nut mixture.

Layer 4: Repeat layer 1 starting with a thin layer of sauce. Top with more sauce and basil.

Cook for 1.5 hours. Careful not to burn top. Let cool for a 5 minutes before serving.